Senior Software Development EngineerPrimary Location: CHENNAI, India Job ID R23039334 Zip Code 600116
Explore your next opportunity at a Fortune Global 500 organization. Envision innovative possibilities, experience our rewarding culture, and work with talented teams that help you become better every day. We know what it takes to lead UPS into tomorrow—people with a unique combination of skill + passion. If you have the qualities and drive to lead yourself or teams, there are roles ready to cultivate your skills and take you to the next level.
Applies the principles of software engineering to design, develop, maintain, test, and evaluate computer software that provide business capabilities, solutions, and/or product suites. Provides systems life cycle management (e.g., analyses, technical requirements, design, coding, testing, implementation of systems and applications software, etc.) to ensure delivery of technical solutions is on time and within budget. Researches and supports the integration of emerging technologies. Provides knowledge and support for applications’ development, integration, and maintenance. Develops program logic for new applications or analyzes and modifies logic in existing applications. Analyzes requirements, tests, and integrates application components. Ensures that system improvements are successfully implemented. May focus on web/internet applications specifically, using a variety of languages and platforms. Defines application complexity drivers, estimates development efforts, creates milestones and/or timelines, and tracks progress towards completion.
Provides specific functional expertise that is theoretical and conceptual in nature. This expertise is typically acquired through a combination of university education and experience within a field. May have responsibility for supervising others in the capacity of a “player coach” but primary focus is individual expertise. Particularly at higher levels, sophisticated subject matter expertise is a requirement for success.
Applies in-depth conceptual and practical knowledge in own job discipline and basic knowledge of related job disciplines. Solves complex problems related to own job discipline by taking a new perspective on existing solutions. Builds consensus. Regularly acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience. Works independently, receives minimal guidance.
Agile Engineering Best Practices
• Stays current on industry trends and serves as an expert on the software development lifecycle and agile engineering practices, coaching others when needed.
• Recommends and plans for application of agile methodologies vs. traditional methodologies, based on comparison of various approaches to achieve the most effective development outcome.
• Identifies appropriate agile engineering practices (e.g., Extreme Programming techniques such as pair programming and test driven development) and coaches others in applying in software development projects.
• Integrates timelines and milestones across projects, identifying areas of synergy or dependency.
• Determines actual or potential gaps in resourcing for projects and recommends strategies to mitigate.
• Evaluates the progress of projects and makes adjustments (e.g., to task order or timeline) to keep the project on track.
• Conducts a deep review of data and issues to quickly reveal the root cause of problem.
• Recommends interim and long-term solutions to complex problems to ensure successful resolution.
• Executes solutions to complex problems; guides the analysis of a problem all the way to a successful resolution.
Creatively tests and maintains software applications and related programs and procedures by using a variety of software development tools following design requirements of customer.
Experience with .Net, OpenShift, Oracle, Jenkins, TFS, Angular - Preferred
System and Technology Integration
Possesses knowledge of features and facilities for integration, and communication among applications, databases and technology platforms to bring together different components and form a fully functional solution to a business problem.
• Gains insight into how customers utilize technology for their competitive advantage and applies this knowledge to suggest areas for improvement.
• Conveys the right information to the correct parties to ensure that proposals for improvements are given the proper consideration and technical issues are resolved in a timely manner.
• Contributes to product development by identifying industry change, listening to customer needs, capturing feedback and communicating that feedback to the business.
UPS is committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.
Related JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Get Job Alerts
If you can't find the opportunity you are looking for right now, come and join our Talent Network. Sign up to Job Alerts to receive emails on new job openings and exclusive career opportunity updates.
You Belong at UPS
We are better together. We are stronger united. We are UPS.Learn More(links to Life at UPS page)
UPS is honoured to earn this prestigious distinction.Read More about Fortune World's Most Admired Companies distinction. (Opens in new window)