Lead Application Developer - Java / Open API
- Full Time
- Chennai, India
- Level: Varies
Lead Application Developer - Java / Open APIApply
Explore your next opportunity at a Fortune Global 500 organization. Envision innovative possibilities, experience our rewarding culture, and work with talented teams that help you become better every day. We know what it takes to lead UPS into tomorrow—people with a unique combination of skill + passion. If you have the qualities and drive to lead yourself or teams, there are roles ready to cultivate your skills and take you to the next level.
This position provides leadership in full systems life cycle management (e.g., analyses, technical requirements, design, coding, testing, implementation of systems and applications software, etc.) to ensure delivery is on time and within budget. He/She directs component and data architecture design, technology planning, and testing for Applications Development (AD) initiatives to meet business requirements and ensure compliance. This position develops and leads AD project activities and integrations. He/She guides teams to ensure effective communication and achievement of objectives. This position researches and supports the integration of emerging technologies. He/She provides knowledge and support for applications’ development, integration, and maintenance. This position leads junior team members with project related activities and tasks. He/She guides and influences department and project teams. This position facilitates collaboration with stakeholders.
- Leads systems analysis and design.
- Leads design and development of applications.
- Develops and ensures creation of application documents.
- Defines and produces integration builds.
- Monitors emerging technology trends.
- Leads maintenance and support.
- Bachelor’s Degree or International equivalent
- Bachelor's Degree or International equivalent in Computer Science, Information Systems, Mathematics, Statistics, or related field - Preferred
- Java , React
- API Architecture Understanding: Familiarity with RESTful APIs, GraphQL, SOAP, and other API types.
- OAS (OpenAPI Specification) Expertise: Ability to read, write, and evaluate API specifications.
- Knowledge of Protocols: Understanding of HTTP, HTTPS, and possibly other communication protocols.
- Data Modeling: Proficiency in understanding and evaluating data schemas, like JSON Schema, YAML or SOAP/XML Schema.
- Event-Driven Architecture: Understand message queues, event streams, and other
- Security Protocols: Understanding of OAuth, JWT, API keys, and other authentication and authorization mechanisms.
- Rate Limiting and Throttling: Knowledge of how these policies affect API usage and performance.
- Development Tools: Familiarity with tools like VSCode, Spectral, Stoplight Studio, or other IDEs and API documentation and testing tools.
API Governance Lead Developer will be responsible for providing technical leadership for API management and modernization initiatives. The candidate will provide technical leadership and expertise for designing and implementing new API capabilities as well migrating legacy APIs. The consultant will partner, advise and train developers, product managers and architects on RESTful API patterns and best practices. A successful candidate will deliver innovative, robust, cost effective technology solutions which align to enterprise strategies and achieve business results.
This position provides leadership in full systems life cycle management (e.g., analyses, technical requirements, design, coding, testing, implementation of systems and applications software, etc.) to ensure delivery is on time and within budget. Directs component and data architecture design, technology planning, and testing for Applications Development (AD) initiatives to meet business requirements and ensure compliance. This position develops and leads AD project activities and integrations. Guides teams to ensure effective communication and achievement of objectives. This position researches and supports the integration of emerging technologies. Provides knowledge and support for applications’ development, integration, and maintenance. This position leads junior team members with project related activities and tasks. Guides and influences department and project teams. This position facilitates collaboration with stakeholders.
- Significant understanding of Microservice patterns & concepts & their application to application design and business solutions
- Champion best practices for Microservices (Domain Driven Design)
- Define Microservices based architecture to support Digitization
- Design microservices that are scalable and reliable with high availability
- Identify and design API layer for service registry, management, throttling, routing etc.
- Design security and authentication features in compliance with company policies
- Design system with the right mix of Monitoring, Alerting and Tracing
- Define Templates for Development Teams and perform regular code reviews to ensure best practices are followed
- Design Integration layer using a combination of approaches (services, messaging etc.) to support downstream data flow and also work in concert with existing systems
- Develop services using technologies like but not limited to Spring Boot & Node
- Define strategy for Test Driven Development to ensure requirements coverage
- Prepare documentation where necessary, including training, process flows, system structure, etc.
UPS is committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right skill level. (1 Beginner – 10 Expert)
- Communicator 10
- Focused 8
- Independent 9
- Open-minded 8
- Problem-solver 9
- Team player 10
You’ll Do Each Day
- Collaborate with teammates across two time zones in a timely manner.
- Work closely to develop innovative technologies that are customized to drive our business and provide the ultimate customer experience.
- Build the products that power our industry-leading Smart Logistics Network, UPS Airlines, UPS Global Transportation operations, Healthcare Solutions, and Supply Chain Solutions.
- Use your programming languages and software development to complete successful projects that lead to the success of UPS.
Be Part of a Global Team
Join UPS and be part of an international network that’s active in over 220 countries and territories. Write your own name in a success story that has gone global.
- $100.3 Billion in revenue in 2022
- 24.3 Million Packages and Documents Average Daily Volume
- 500,000+ Global Employees
- 1,800 Operating facilities worldwide
A lot goes into ensuring the efficient distribution of our goods, services and information. Future You thrives in our busy environment, moving and sorting packages for our customers.
Take Your Career to the Next Level
As an Applications Developer at UPS, you can grow in new and exciting ways with two main paths to choose from — Technical and Managerial. Plus, you can always explore additional technical opportunities in our Data Science and Cyber Security fields.
Technical leads to Developer.Managerial leads to Developer.
Developer leads to Senior Developer.Developer leads to Senior Developer.
Senior Developer leads to Architect/Lead Developer.Senior Developer leads to Applications Development Manager.
Architect/Lead Developer leads to Principal Architect/Distinguished Engineer.Applications Development Manager leads to Director.
Principal Architect/Distinguished Engineer ends this branch.Director ends this branch.
Get Rewarded for All You Do
Paid Time Off
The benefits and compensation information provided on this website are for informational purposes only. Not every product or service is available or applicable to every employee and the availability of a product or service is subject to change. UPS reserves the right to alter or delete the information provided as required by UPS’ business needs.
Related JobsView All of Our Available Opportunities
Get Job Alerts
If you can't find the opportunity you are looking for right now, come and join our Talent Network. Sign up to Job Alerts to receive emails on new job openings and exclusive career opportunity updates.
You Belong at UPS
We are better together. We are stronger united. We are UPS.Learn More(links to Life at UPS page)
UPS is honoured to earn this prestigious distinction.Read More about Fortune World's Most Admired Companies distinction. (Opens in new window)